This is my healthified version of my favorite dish at my local Chinese restaurant. It is vegan, flavorful and packed with proteinJump to Recipe
I absolutely love any kind of Chinese food. If I had to pick my two favorite, they would be teriyaki chicken and cashew chicken. I also love any type of fried rice and of course egg rolls and lo-mien.
While yes, these dishes are very delicious, they are also very high in oils, fat, and high in calories. That is why I love cooking at home. You can control how much oil and everything else you are putting in your dish. This recipe looks complicated but trust me it is very easy and you can even take some short cuts. Some short cuts you can take but still end up with a healthy dish would be to replace the sauce with a low sodium sauce with minimal ingredients. You could also get precooked rice in packets and just heat them up in the microwave. Lastly, you could buy frozen veggies and skip the cutting process. Enjoy!
Cashew Tofu Stir Fry
- medium size pot
- 1 cup Quinoa or rice
- 2 cups Water
- 1 block Tofu
- 1 Tbs Olive oil or sesame oil
- 1 Tbs Corn Starch
Stir Fry sauce
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce Low Sodium
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 Tbs Honey
- 1 Tbs Minced Ginger
- 2 cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/2 Tbs Corn Starch
Stir Fry Veggies
- 3 medium Carrots Chopped
- 1 head Broccoli Chopped
- 1 whole Red Bell Pepper Diced
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup cashews (or more if you like)
Quinoa or Rice Base
- Cook 1 cup of rice or quinoa according to the package. Should make 2-3 cups total once cooked. This should take about 15-20 minutes
- While the quinoa is cooking, place the block of tofu between a couple layers of paper towels on top of a flat surface. place a couple of heavy plates on top of the tofu covered with paper towels for about 15 minutes. This will help drain the water out of the tofu for crispier tofu but is not necessary.
- Once tofu is dried, cut block into small bite sized pieces. About 5 slices horizontally and vertically. Add the tofu to a large bowl.
- Drizzle the tofu with olive or sesame oil and stir to coat.
- sprinkle on the corn starch and stir to coat the tofu evenly.
- Heat on a skillet on medium high heat for 4 minutes and then flip cooking for another 4 minutes until brown and crispy. Remove from the pan and add to a plate.
Stir fry sauce
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix together until everything is mixed well and there are no chunks.
Stir Fry Veggies
- Chop the carrots, broccoli, and red bell pepper into bite sized pieces.
- Cook these on the same skillet as the tofu adding the water a bit at a time.
- cook for the veggies for about 8 minutes stirring occasionally
- Once veggies are softened, add in the Cashews and cooked tofu
- Add in the stir fry sauce and cook for another 2 minutes or until the sauce is thickened a bit.
- Add the quinoa to your bowl and top with veggies and tofu mixture