This super easy chickpea curry can be made in 15 minutes. It’s very creamy and flavorful. It is just as delicious as your local Indian restaurant minus all of the oils and dairy that they use in their cooking.
In this recipe I use fresh ginger and garlic to give it an extra kick and coconut milk to make it super creamy. I love pairing this recipe with jasmine rice or brown rice.
Don’t have an instant pot? No problem! I will leave separate directions down below for a stove top version instead!
Instant pot vegan chickpea curry
- instant pot or large sauce pan
- 1 whole onion peeled and diced
- 1 tbs fresh ginger grated or minced
- 1 tbs garlic minced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes fire roasted
- 1 can 13.5 ounce can of coconut milk
- 1 can 15.5 ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tbs curry powder
- 1 tbs graham masala
- 8 ounces fresh spinach
instant pot directions
- Sauté onions and olive oil using the sauté setting on the instant pot for about 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the curry and graham masala and cook for a minute so release the flavor.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, salt, coconut milk, and chickpeas. Put the lid on and set your instant pot to pressure cook for 5 minutes. It will take about 5 minutes to start counting down.
- once the 5 minutes is up, press the release button and let the pressure release for a couple of minutes. Take off the lid and add in your spinach.
- Serve with rice or naan!
Stove top instructions
- Follow the same steps above but set your burner to medium high head and cook onions, garlic, and ginger accordingly.
- Turn down the heat to medium and add in the rest of the ingredients minus the spinach.
- Simmer with the lid on for about 15 minutes.
- Add in your spinach and stir until wilted.