These chocolate peppermint protein are a perfect way to celebrate the Christmas season. They are gluten free, vegan, and high in protein. I like to take these to work as snacks or even eat them for dessert.
These protein balls can be made with ingredients you more than likely have lying around your house. If you can’t find peppermint extract or don’t want to buy it at the store, you could just add extra crushed up peppermint to the batter.
The simple ingredients include:
- Cocoa powder- I like to use Hershey’s dark cocoa powder but you could use regular cocoa powder if you want it a little less bitter.
- Protein powder- I like to use vegan pea protein powder or Vega plant based protein powder. You can use chocolate or vanilla protein powder with this recipe.
- Maple syrup- you could also use honey if you want it to be sweeter.
- Almond butter- peanut butter or cashew butter could be used in replace of almond butter.
- Dairy free chocolate chips- Enjoy Life makes delicious vegan chocolate chips. Use regular semi sweet chocolate chips if you’re not vegan.
- Peppermint candy- can use candy canes or regular peppermints!
I especially love this recipe because it is a no bake recipe. It is also a one bowl recipe. So easy and not time consuming.
Chocolate Peppermint Protein Truffles
- 1/2 cup Cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 scoops vegan chocolate or vanilla protein powder
- 3 tbs mini chocolate chips
- 1 tbs water more if needed
- 3 tbs candy canes or peppermints crushed
- Add the cocoa powder, maple syrup, almond butter, protein powder, salt, peppermint extract and chocolate chips to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add water 1 tsp at a time until the mixture is sticky enough to be rolled into a ball.
- Roll truffles into tablespoon sized balls on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- put the truffles in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- add crushed up peppermints to a plate and roll chilled truffles around until they are coated with the crushed peppermints. Enjoy!